The 17th annual CHARACTER COUNTS! in Glenview Writing Contest seeks essays from students in fifth through eighth grades.
Being mindful of the Pillars of Character, please write an essay choosing ONE of the topics listed below:
1. How has a figure in history, a book, a poem, a film, art or music influence the development of your own character?
2. Is it the responsibility of those who have more to take care of those who have less? Explain.
The six pillars and brief descriptions:
- Trustworthiness — integrity, honesty, promise-keeping, loyalty
- Respect — courtesy, diversity, the Golden Rule
- Responsibility — duty, accountability, pursuit of excellence
- Fairness — openness, consistency, impartiality
- Caring — kindness, compassion, empathy
- Citizenship — lawfulness, common good
Students in grades 5, 6, 7 and 8 are eligible to submit an essay.
The entry must be 350 words or less in length.
Put name, parent’s email address, phone number, grade and school in the upper right hand corner of EACH page.
Make sure the entry is given to the Language Arts or classroom teacher by February 21, 2014 or deliver it by that date to: Barbara Littlefield, Glenview Public Library, 1930 Glenview Road, Glenview IL 60025.
The entries will be judged by a panel of professionals in the writing field. Winners will be announced in late March and recognized as an April Glenview Village Board of Trustees meeting. In addition, first-place essays will be made available to the local media for publication.
There will be a first-, second- and third-place monetary prize for each grade level. Each student who enters the contest will receive a ribbon.
Awards provided by: Northview Bank & Trust, American Chartered Bank, Glenview Optimists and Image Specialties.